Sunday, September 17, 2017

How Shall I Forgive? - December 8



For if ye forgive men their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you: But if ye forgive not men their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses. Matthew 6:14-15

This one is a hard one to write. There was a pastor who made extra money delivering newspapers. One morning as he picked up the ones he was to deliver, he was killed by a hit and run driver. His family came out that same day and publically forgave the unknown person who killed him. An amazing action on their part. I always admired them.

Then I had to do the same.

A few years ago, my gentle brother in law was brutally murdered by his roommate. There are no words that can adequately describe the variety and intensity of emotions we felt.

I was so angry. I wanted to hate. The Lord wouldn’t let me. His quiet still voice reminded me that we are called to forgive as we are forgiven. It is so hard to forgive something like this. We are not given the choice. He says to forgive.

So I did. I forgave and prayed for the salvation of my brother in law’s killer. But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you; Matthew 5:44 Then I asked the Lord to soften my hard heart. Every day I asked Him to change me, to help me truly forgive.

We are called to forgive. No matter how difficult, we are to forgive. It can be done, through Christ. I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me. Philippians 4:13

Are there people in your life whom you need to forgive? Forgive as you are forgiven.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Come

Come you who are poor in spirit Come you who mourn Shelter beneath His wings Come you who are heavily laden Come take up His yoke ...